The Key is the country’s most trusted provider of knowledge and know-how to education leaders determined to make a difference. We provide authoritative, up-to-the-minute sector intelligence, tools, services and resources that give leaders the knowledge to act.
We are looking for a Senior Software Developer to join our Engineering team. You will be working with and managing part of a highly successful engineering team developing new features for market leading online applications that have an impact on thousands of schools and millions of children.
The role will allow you to work across a variety of codebases contributing to new features, refactoring existing code and also contributing to decisions around the future product roadmap. We use a variety of modern languages, frameworks and tools to deliver including Python Django, Wagtail CMS, Vue.js, NativeScript, Node.js and React. Our systems are hosted in Google Cloud Platform using scaling solutions such as Kubernetes; built on top of managed services such as MemoryStore (redis) and Cloud SQL (postgres).
As a manager you will support the growth and development of other engineers.
Our flagship product, The Key for School Leaders is accessed by over 100,000 schools leaders every month. Your role will allow you to work on vital features, ensuring our solutions are scalable and embrace best practices.
- Manage a multi-disciplinary team of engineers
- Develop new features and maintain existing codebases
- Help steer the direction of future developments with industry best practice
- Work with the wider engineering team to continually improve our processes and achieve valuable outcomes for members
The ideal person
First things first, here are the things you need to have:
- Commercial experience with HTML and CSS (2+ years)
- Experience of automated testing
As a person, we are looking for someone who is passionate about software development, that will motivate and challenge their peers to succeed, and have:
- Conscientiousness – you’re excellent at organising yourself and coordinating projects involving multiple people, both locally and remotely.
- Great, real world, problem solving skills and the tenacity to keep driving for a solution, even when you feel like you have no idea what’s going on.
- Attention to detail – you’re always coming up with edge cases and you appreciate the virtues of a well crafted automated test.
- Perseverance, as, unfortunately we can’t promise that things will always go 100% swimmingly.
- Oodles of curiosity – because life isn’t fun if you’re not continuously learning.
Finally, any of the following are highly desirable:
- A Bachelors or Masters degree in a STEM field, preferably with a solid Maths background
- Experience of some of the following technologies:
- Experience with SQL databases
- Experience of browser troubleshooting and debugging techniques
- Experience of using source control tools (e.g. Git / SVN)
- Experience managing a team of peers (1+ years)
- Familiarity with the education sector
If you don’t meet all of the above but have a genuine interest in joining our team please get in touch – we’d be very happy to chat.
Why work for us
We place huge importance on caring for and developing our people. If you join us you can expect a good work-life balance and the training and support you need to succeed in your role and continue to progress. We are a socially conscious company, but one that also likes to have fun. We offer a generous holiday allowance, flexible hours, buying and selling holiday, enhanced maternity pay, free breakfast, fruit, and drinks, regular socials and much more.
We’re serious about flexibility, so if you would like to work part time, or more flexibly in any way please get in touch and we will accommodate where we can.
How to apply
Please upload your CV and covering letter below. In your cover letter please explain why you think you would be right for this role, how your experience fits, and why you would like to work at The Key
The deadline for applications is 6pm on Sunday 15th November.
If you have any questions please email email@example.com.
We are an equal opportunities employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made at any step of the recruitment process, including telephone/video interviews, written tasks and face-to-face interviews.